Thursday 11 April 2013

Leaving the flat at 5.57am

Another day. Another debilitating tram journey, standing with tennis elbow next to reeking alcoholics. But, today, it's different. It's officially Spring and the temperature gauge has shot up to over 20 degrees (well, falling laughably as I write, but still a genuine revolution that confirms climate change in the most lower-case manner possible.)
I'm off at Dworcowa this time to teach at an Internet domain company (me neither... and no-one is there apart from a smiling girl from Novy Sonch - a mountainous region in Southern Poland.) As usual, I am lost before arriving at the sliding double doors of the company. A girl on the street tells me alarmingly I'm in the wrong town five minutes before.
Faintly coloured tower blocks rise up around me in this new part of Podgorze ( a McDonalds sits at an intersection making sure no-one misbehaves). Cars drive unceasingly on a busy road. A single magpie flits high up between blocks in the blue sky. Maybe this is where they will build the proposed Margaret Thatcher statue in tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment